Recipe adapted from Nigella’s American breakfast pancakes.
Ingredients for 12 thick spongey pancakes:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 large eggs (beaten)
- 15 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 150 millilitres milk
- 125 grams plain flour
- Handful of blueberries
- butter for frying
- Either put everything (except for the blueberries) into a blender and blitz well, or make a well in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and beat in the eggs, melted butter and milk.
- Gently stir in the blueberries and transfer to a jug.
- Heat a smooth griddle or pan on the stove until it’s almost smoking. Add a small knob of butter.
- Slowly pour enough mix into the pan in a circular motion to create your pancake. If your pan is hot enough the mix will only spread a tiny bit.
- When you cook the pancakes, it’s time to cook the second side when the surface is pockmarked all over. Flip and cook for about a minute.
- Serve hot or cold with jewel-like macerated blueberries.